A holiday stay in an apartment on the Upper East Side of New York City is an ultimate dream in some people’s bucket list. Well, thanks to the inception of house-swapping, your next big holiday has now become more achievable.
House swapping is a way to exchange houses with someone from anyone in the world. It’s perfect for people who are on extended vacations from a couple of days to a couple of weeks. But, we think that the best part of doing house swap is that you get to live like a local instead of a tourist.
While it’s not for everyone because we are talking about exchanging houses with strangers, here are a few key reminders to make a house swap worry-free:
- Chemistry. Ask yourself if you feel good about the exchange and if it will work out for you.
- Communication. Choose a house swapping website or platform where you can exchange messages directly or share contact info so you can arrange a Skype call to help get to know each other and the properties involved.
- Style. When you list your property for house swapping, make it beautiful. Aesthetics is important. You want to make it comfortable and stylish for guests. Add lots of photos, take pictures of nearby attractions, and useful home features.
- Open mind. It helps to keep an open mind when swapping houses. Welcome possibilities and don’t expect everything to be perfect.
- Insurance. It’s good to inform your insurance company before you go. Take extra cover if you need to.
- Considerate. Stock up on basics such as kitchen staples, clean bedsheets, and basic toiletries.
- Cautious. Be generous but be cautious. Keep precious items secure in a safe.
- Key keeper. Ask if a friend or a neighbour can drop by the house occasionally to keep eye on things.
- Enjoy. Home swapping is a brilliant way to travel like a local and save a huge load of money on accommodations.
Have you tried house swapping before? Share your experience in the comments.